Saturday, October 18, 2008

QUOTATIONS FROM GANDHI-2

  1. There is more to life than increasing its speed.
  2. Anger and intolerance are the twin enemies of correct understanding.
  3. "Must I do all the evil I can before I learn to shun it? Is it not enough to know the evil to shun it? If not, we should be sincere enough to admit that we love evil too well to give it up."
  4. Unity to be real must stand the severest strain without breaking.
  5. Honesty is incompatible with amassing a large fortune.
  6. I have known many meat eaters to be far more nonviolent than vegetarians.
  7. Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart.
  8. "Prayer is not an old woman's idle amusement. Properly understood and applied, it is the most potent instrument of action."
  9. "I came to the conclusion long ago . . . that all religions were true, and also that all had some error in them."
  10. I believe in the doctrine of non-violence as a weapon of the weak. I believe in the doctrine of non-violence as a weapon of the strongest. I believe that a man is the strongest soldier for daring to die unarmed.
  11. The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated.
  12. Good government is no substitute for self-government.
  13. "I claim that in losing the spinning wheel we lost our left lung. We are, therefore, suffering from galloping consumption. The restoration of the wheel arrests the progress of the fell disease."
  14. "Freedom is not worth having if it does not connote freedom to err. It passes my comprehension how human beings, be they ever so experienced and able, can delight in depriving other human beings of that precious right."
  15. "I am prepared to die, but there is no cause for which I am prepared to kill."

No comments: